History of Acupuncture:
- Used for several thousand years in Orient with first documented application in 2600 BC with use of stone needles
- Treatments based in natural philosophy which included the concepts of TCM including yin/yang, chi, five elements
World Health Organization Indications for Acupuncture:
- Acute sinusitis
- Pain syndromes
- Cocaine, opiate, and alcohol addictions
- Rheumatoid arthritis
What Can The Patient Expect?
- Often 1 st visit for assessment
- Duration of each session usually lasts approximately 30 minutes
- Probably 10 or more treatment sessions needed to see improvement
- May be covered by insurance
The acupuncturist may use needles, electric stimulation, lasers, etc.